Login with your Social Account

Dark Matter Cloud

Scientists confirm presence of Dark Matter, removing the existing doubts

The universe as we all know is a big and vast collection of planets, stars and galaxies which is spread across a diameter of 10 billion light years. However, the universe at the same time is a huge area full of mystery and dilemma which is constantly being observed and studied by our scientists in search of a clue to solve the puzzle of this great universe which we all a small part of. A curious mind often wonders what this entire universe is made of. This question has been bothering astrophysicists for a long time until lately a term called Dark Matter was termed.

Dark Matter is thought to account for 90-95% of the mass of the universe. The rest 5% mass is believed to be from the stars, galaxies and planets that are in the universe. It is believed to consist of non-luminous material that is thought about as existing in space. It is unlike normal matter as it cannot interact with electromagnetic force and cannot absorb light nor is able to reflect light that falls on it, thus making it harder to spot. Matter when exits exert a gravitational effect around it. Recently though, the existence of dark matter has been brought into question.

Chiara Di Paolo, a doctoral student of astrophysics at SISSA, has said that three years ago, a few colleagues of the Case Western Reserve University strongly questioned the understanding of the universe and therefore the in-depth work of the many researchers, casting doubt on the existence of matter within the galaxies. The reports have been published in The Astrophysical Journal.


After analysis of the rotation curves of 153 curves, an empirical relationship between the total gravitational acceleration of stars was obtained, observed and the component which would be observed in absence of dark matter and presence of ordinary matter as considered in the classical Newtonian theory.

Later Paolo Salucci, a professor of astrophysics at SISSA has stated that they had studied the relationship between total acceleration and its ordinary component in 106 galaxies, obtaining different results from those that had been previously observed from the case of ordinary matter. Thus the variation in results obtained by considering the presence of ordinary matter and the results obtained practically in space which is dark matter is different. He further stated in his statement that the recent developments not only demonstrates the inexactness of the empirical relationship previously described but removes doubts on the existence of dark matter in the galaxies.

Topics such as these continuously being explored and questioned by curious minds all across the world. These theories are constantly questioned in pursuit to prove it, we keep discovering newer things in the ever-changing and mysterious world of physics and astrophysics.

About the author: Kalpit Veerwal
Kalpit Veerwal is a second year Computer Science undergraduate at IIT Bombay. He is well known for being the only person to score 360/360 in JEE (Main). He is registered in the Limca Book of Records for the same. A blogger in his free time, he has also secured top ranks in various exams held in India and the world.

Write Comment!


No comments yet